Thursday, February 26, 2009

Kenner Star Wars Promotional Booklet












Here's an early Star Wars pack-in booklet from 1978. Notice the vinyl caped Jawa on the page for the original 12 action figures. It also cracks me up that this refers to the Chewbacca large size figure as "Space Wookie"...like there is any other kind.

We used to pour over these booklets to see what toys were coming out and what toys we should be looking for on store shelves. We didn't have your fancy internet, Kids, to know a year or two in advance what would be coming down the pike. Bah! Somebody help me to my chair.

Incidentally, this old booklet fell completely apart while scanning it for this post. Just one of the sacrifices I'm willing to make for you...the mostly silent and anonymous readers, to spread the 70s toy goodness.

4 comments:

  1. We had the landSpeeder and the game along with several of the figures.

    These whippersnappers are spoiled.
    All we had was a Sears catalog and a big imagination. (Said in my most old fogey voice)

    As far as your booklet goes "We can rebuild it. We have the technology."

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that's really cool about this booklet is the prototype versions of the "Adventure Playsets" and die-cast vehicles. I remember pouring over this booklet so many times as a kid, that I did notice the difference in the toys when I finally got them, as compared to these versions here. And check out the cameo of "Blue Snaggletooth" and the prototype Walrus Man! Yeah I'm a dork, I get excited about that stuff, hah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always noticed that the diecast ships were prototypes but I've NEVER noticed the blue snaggletooth and proto-Walrusman...and I've had this for over 30 years! Good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have ALL of the Kenner playsets and vehicles including the booklets, Sears and J.C. Penney's exclusives AND a vinyl caped Jawa to boot! Blue Snaggletooth runs the roost! Great memories, as I thought that I was the only one on the planet who had him.

    ReplyDelete