Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mego Bend 'n Flex Planet of the Apes Astronaut

Quick post. This is Mego's Astronaut from their Bend 'n Flex bendy series from 1975.

I picked this guy up last year from a Mego Marketplace seller. I'm keeping him carded as I love the cheesy, vintage artwork and, in this case, the packaging feels as much a part of the toy as the toy, itself. I especially love the illustration on the back of the package that shows all the characters in the series.

I only had two of these Planet of the Apes bendies as a kid...the astronaut and a soldier ape. I got the Astronaut first and he accompanied me on a road trip from Minnesota to Montana to find a new house when I was about 8 years old. While visiting Montana, we stopped by a Kmart and I was allowed to buy a soldier ape. So, my strongest memory of these Ape bendies has to do with playing with them in the car for hours and hours while riding from state to state.

Better than a Gameboy or Ipod for passing time? Eh, probably not... but there wasn't a whole lot for a kid to do on long road trips back then.

I've said it before, but I love how Mego got away with making their astronaut toys look NOTHING like the astronaut characters from the films.

Gotta love the 70's.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting that the back illustration appears to be based on the 8'' dolls, with the astronaut in th space helmet used not only on the PotA dolls but also the Space 1999 series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you talking about?! I think that looks EXACTLY like Charlton Heston. ;) I wonder why he has a blue suit, though.

    I love the art on this card. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dang Apes are behind it I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slightly off topic, but did you ever have any figures from the Big Jim line?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jay, I did have a couple of figures from the Big Jim line. I had Big Jim and the Karate studio (with breakable boards and the handle that moved the figures). I also had a Big Jeff with a machete. I really would have loved to have had some of the "Pack" figures, mostly Big Jim. Unfortunately, I no longer have any Big Jim items but have entertained the idea of acquiring some new pieces down the line... pricey, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, man! I think I had the Kung Fu studio, but I know I had the Sports Camper. Big Jim and Dr. Steel were the only action figures I owned, though.

    Excellent, excellent site. I've added you to my Google Reader feeds.

    ReplyDelete